Leveraging Brocade VCS™ technology, Brocade VDX 6730 Data Center Switches provide the foundation for Ethernet fabric—revolutionizing the design of Layer 2 networks and enabling cloud-optimized networking.
Revolutionizing the Way Data Center Networks are Built
As IT organizations look for better ways to build clouds and virtualized data centers, they are turning to high-performance networking solutions that increase flexibility through leading-edge technologies. Brocade VDX 6730 Data Center Switches are specifically designed to improve network utilization, maximize application availability, increase scalability, and dramatically simplify network architecture in virtualized data centers. By leveraging Brocade VCS technology, the Brocade VDX 6730 builds data center Ethernet fabrics—revolutionizing the design of Layer 2 networks and providing an intelligent foundation for cloud computing.
Whether organizations want to enhance their classic hierarchical network architectures, deploy flatter scale-out fabrics for virtualized data centers, or converge networks, the Brocade VDX 6730 delivers the innovative technology to enhance and simplify their networks.
Additional highlights include the following:
- Simplifies network architectures and enables cloud computing by delivering Brocade VCS technology
- Provides Ports on Demand flexibility with 16-, 24-, 40-, 50-, and 60-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) models built on Brocade sixth-generation fabric switching technology
- Maximizes performance through wire-speed ports with 600 nanosecond port-to-port latency and hardware-based Inter-Switch Link (ISL) Trunking
- Provides multi-homed active-active server connections for Ethernet networks
- Builds scale-out Ethernet fabrics for virtualized data centers
- Enables end-to-end convergence of Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE), iSCSI, and NAS storage traffic along with IP LAN data traffic
- Simplifies management by maintaining network policies as virtual machines move throughout the data center with Automatic Migration of Port Profiles (AMPP)
- Helps reduce operational costs and complexity by enabling the entire fabric to be managed as a single switch
Compared to classic Ethernet architectures, Ethernet fabrics allow all paths to be active and provide greater scalability—while reducing management complexity.
Features and Benefits
|Flexible Deployments to Solve Data Center Challenges||For classic Ethernet architectures, Brocade VCS technology enables organizations to preserve existing network designs and cabling, and to gain active-active server connections without employing Spanning Tree Protocol (STP). For scale-out fabric architectures, Brocade VCS technology allows organizations to flatten the network design, provide Virtual Machine (VM) mobility without network reconfiguration, and manage the entire fabric as a single logical chassis.|
For data centers that can take advantage of a converged LAN/SAN environment, Brocade VCS technology provides end-to-end Data Center Bridging (DCB) capabilities, enabling traditional IP and storage traffic to exist on the same network. Organizations can also use Brocade VCS technology to prioritize Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) and iSCSI traffic to make sure it receives sufficient bandwidth and remains lossless.Enabling Cloud-Optimized NetworkingAvailable in 16-, 24-, 40-, 50- and 60-port models, Brocade VDX 6730 data center switches are designed to exceed the requirements of emerging cloud computing architectures. A new hardware design, combined with Brocade Network Operating System (Brocade Network OS), supports higher-performance networks, greater network utilization, and added flexibility for the entire data center. These capabilities are critical for scaling out virtual server environments that require seamless movement, addition, and removal of application resources.Maximum PerformanceTo support mission-critical environments, the Brocade VDX 6730 delivers wire-speed 10 GbE performance across all ports, with port-to-port latency as low as 600 nanoseconds—making it one of the fastest Ethernet switches available.For maximum performance within the fabric, Brocade hardware-based Inter-Switch Link (ISL) Trunking is automatically used between switches. Up to eight links can be included in a trunk group, for up to 80 Gbps of balanced throughput. This feature uses links very efficiently to increase the number of usable switch ports for devices.Configuration FlexibilityThe Brocade VDX 6730 is also designed with maximum flexibility in mind. Each port supports both 10 Gbps and 1 Gbps connections, providing the bandwidth needed for new servers while supporting existing servers. In addition, multiple cabling options are available, enabling a more cost-efficient network design. For example, organizations can use direct-attached copper cables for server connections within the rack, direct-attached optical cables for switch-to-switch fabric connections, and optics and fiber optic cabling for uplinks to the network core.Ports on Demand capabilities are available for fast, easy, and cost-effective scalability, with switch models ranging from 16 to 60 ports. Organizations can purchase only the number of ports that they currently need and seamlessly scale up later by simply applying a software license.
To support modern, high-density server designs, the 24- and 60-port models have switch depths of only 15 and 17 inches, respectively. With reversible front-to-rear or rear-to-front airflow, the Brocade VDX 6730 also supports high-density server racks that have specific airflow requirements and are designed to leverage advanced cooling technologies and optimize utilization of floor space.Comprehensive Layer 2 LAN CapabilitiesAlong with Brocade VCS fabric technology, the Brocade VDX 6730 includes a rich set of traditional Layer 2 Ethernet protocols and features. When communicating to the rest of the network, the Brocade VDX 6730 utilizes protocols such as Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) and 802.1Q.The Brocade VDX 6730 is also ready for IPv4/v6 Layer 3 routing capabilities that can be implemented in a future Brocade Network OS release.
- Download Brocade VDX 6730 Series Switch Brochure
- Download Brocade VDX 6730 At A Glance – ISL Trunking for Brocade VCS
- Download VDX 6720 Deployment White Paper
- Download An Introduction to Brocade VCS White Paper
To learn more about PTS’ IT Consulting Services, visit a link below or contact us:
- Data Center Server Planning & Feasibility
- Data Center Storage Area Network (SAN) and Data Protection Planning & Feasibility
- Data Center Virtualization Strategies & Assessments
- Data Center Relocation Evaluation & Planning
- Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery
- IT Managed Services
- Routing and Switching Solutions