Barracuda Networks, Inc. offers industry-leading solutions designed to solve mainstream IT problems – efficiently and cost effectively – while maintaining a level of customer support and satisfaction second to none. Their products span three distinct markets, including: 1) content security, 2) networking and application delivery, as well as 3) data storage, protection and disaster recovery.
Some of the more common parts within Barracuda family are:
Barracuda Message Archiver
The Barracuda Message Archiver is ideal for organizations looking to reduce their email storage requirements and boost user productivity with direct mobile or desktop access to any email they ever sent or received. In addition to these efficiencies, the Barracuda Message Archiver also provides a powerful, yet simple platform for eDiscovery and compliance. The Barracuda Message Archiver can be backed up with Barracuda Backup and can share messages via Copy file sync and share services.
Features and Benefits:
- Comprehensive Mobile Apps: The Barracuda Message Archiver offers flexible and full-featured mobile applications for Android and iOS devices, allowing users to use their mobile device to search, download, and respond to any email ever sent or received, even if deleted from the server. Because all email is indexed, search is often much faster than typical native mobile email applications and provides a much higher search success rate. Users can forward, reply, or resend email to themselves.
- Exchange Stubbing: The Barracuda Message Archiver employs Exchange Stubbing to help reduce size of the Exchange Information Store. Messages and attachments removed from the information store are kept on the Barracuda Message Archiver for easy access, which helps organizations minimize their Exchange storage to reduce costs, shrink Exchange backup windows, and simplify Exchange management.
- PST Collector: One major challenge for IT in typical organizations is lack of visibility and control of users’ local message archives in the form of PST files. The Barracuda Message Archiver helps consolidate user PSTs into a single searchable location. PSTs can be uploaded directly into the Barracuda Message Archiver by administrators, end-users, or the automated PST Collector. Barracuda’s PST Collector scans the organization’s entire network for PST files and assigns the imported PST files to the correct user.
- Retention and Litigation Holds: In addition to storage reduction, another reason to archive email is for eDiscovery. The Barracuda Message Archiver offers customizable email retention rules and allows organizations to designate an auditor(s) to apply litigation holds on specific information. Litigation holds preserve the data from being tampered with until the litigation hold expires or is removed.
- Single Instance Storage: The Barracuda Message Archiver uses single instance storage, a form of deduplication for both new and older messages. This minimizes both expensive tier-1 storage for email servers and backup windows needed to protect email data.
- Message Import: The Barracuda Message Archiver can collect historical data from multiple sources, from production or legacy email servers. With Exchange integration, organizations are able to import contacts, calendars, tasks, and journal entries. The Barracuda Message Archiver is also able to import public folders from Microsoft Exchange.
- Message Export: Users can easily export messages back to their mail server via their standard web interface and IT administrators and auditors can also export messages either in standard formats or to Barracuda’s Copy file sync and share platform.
- Powerful Searching: The Barracuda Message Archiver offers easy-to-use search capabilities, ranging from the most basic search by a user for a misplaced email to advanced Boolean search strategies for an auditor during an eDiscovery request.
- Standard Format Storage: The Barracuda Message Archiver stores archived email in a standard email format, so organizations can easily export the stored archived data to PST or .eml format. The desired content can also be forwarded to an Exchange server.
- Usage Reports: Effective management of data requires good information reporting. The Barracuda Message Archiver provides comprehensive reports on archiving activity, cost savings, and projected storage growth to help IT optimize how their infrastructure is used and deployed.
- Email Agnostic: The Barracuda Message Archiver uses journaling support to capture a real-time copy of all email, supporting standard compliant servers, e.g., Exchange, Office 365, Google Apps, Groupwise, and other solutions that support SMTP or POP.
- Cloud Relay: The Barracuda Cloud Relay Service is used as a secure interface to relay mail that was journaled in Microsoft Office 365 or the Google Apps hosted mail service to the Barracuda Message Archiver, allowing local archiving of cloud email applications to reduce costs and enhance security and access.
- Outlook Add-in: The Barracuda Message Archiver offers organizations a powerful Microsoft Outlook Add-in that gives end users easy access to archived mail and enables manual stubbing of email items.
- Desktop Search: The Barracuda Message Archiver offers organizations running Windows or Mac operating systems an easy-to-use search tool that allows the end user to find historic or current mail.
Barracuda Spam Firewall
The Barracuda Spam Firewall manages all inbound and outbound email traffic to protect organizations from email-borne threats and data leaks. As a complete email management solution, organizations can encrypt messages and leverage the cloud to spool email if mail servers become unavailable. The Barracuda Spam Firewall is offered without per-user or per-feature fees, and is also available as a virtual appliance. For hosted email security, see Barracuda Email Security Service.
- Spam Protection: With a long-standing heritage in spam protection, Barracuda Networks remains the leader in identifying and blocking spam. A comprehensive set of security layers ensures that organizations remain productive in the face of evolving threats.The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall leverages Barracuda Central to identify email from known spammers and determine whether domains embedded in email lead to known spam or malware domains. It leverages many of the same industry-leading techniques found in the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall that protect against attempts to embed text inside images with the intent of hiding content from traditional spam filters.
- Virus Protection: As virus attacks become more sophisticated and complex, email infrastructure requires advanced virus protection. The potential for the destruction and release of information, or the disruption of a network severely impacts productivity and can lead to financial loss.The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall scans email and incoming files using three powerful layers of virus scanning technology. It also decompresses archives for complete protection. Powerful virus definitions are automatically updated via Energize Updates to maintain the most up-to-date protection against email-borne viruses.To provide protection from tainted internal email, a Microsoft Exchange Plug-In allows organizations to protect against the spread of viruses that don’t access the email gateway. The virus definitions are also regularly updated to ensure the latest protection.
- Barracuda Central: All Barracuda products are supported by Barracuda Central, a 24×7 advanced security operations center that works continuously to monitor and block the latest Internet threats. Barracuda Central collects data from more than 150,000 collection points worldwide and analyzes it to develop defenses, rules, and signatures. As new threats emerge, Barracuda Central is quick to respond to early outbreaks and delivers the latest definitions through Barracuda Energize Updates. These updates require zero administration and ensure that the Barracuda Spam Firewall provides comprehensive and accurate protection against the latest Internet threats.
- Denial of Service (DoS) Attack Protection: Not every attack is focused on getting users to send their credit card number, getting users to click on a malicious link, or to plant a virus. Often, the objective of the attack is focused on disabling a network or mitigating its effectiveness. As a cloud-based service, the Barracuda Spam Firewall is positioned to stop spammers before they overload an email server.
- Email Spooling: The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall ensures that email can still be delivered even during email server failures or loss of connectivity. In the event of on-premises disruptions, email can be spooled in the Cloud Protection Layer for up to 96 hours. An alternate destination can also be specified for delivery, if delivery to the primary destination fails.During email server outages, the email for all mail servers is visible through the Cloud Protection Layer. From the message log, you can see the status of all spooled emails, and whether mail has been re-delivered.
- Spam and Virus Pre-Filtering: The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall is integrated with a cloud-based service that pre-filters email before delivery to the on-site Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall. The Cloud Protection Layer is continuously updated with definitions in real time with updates from Barracuda Central. The elasticity of Barracuda’s global cloud infrastructure provides the flexibility to handle email surges during specific periods of the day and during Denial of Service attacks.The Cloud Protection Layer ensures that an organization’s email security infrastructure scales with the increasing growth in email volume and attachment sizes; as well as the growth of companies. By leveraging the bandwidth and computing power of the CPL, organizations can easily scale their email security solution.
- Encryption: The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall offers a number of encryption features. It is fully integrated with a cloud-based email encryption service for outbound email. Email that matches policy or are marked for encryption via the Barracuda Outlook Add-in are securely sent via TLS to the Barracuda Message Center.The Barracuda Message Center uses AES with 256-bit keys to encrypt email. To encrypt email traffic between sites over the Internet, the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall Message Transport Agent supports SMTP over TLS. This can be used between Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewalls or other email servers that support SMTP over TLS.
- Outbound Filtering: Outbound filtering prevents organizations from being put on spam block lists and prevents sensitive data in email from leaving the organization. Employees can inadvertently cause internal systems to become a source for botnet spam. Using a subset of its defense layers, the Barracuda Spam Firewall’s outbound filtering stops outbound spam and viruses. It also lets administrators enforce content polices for data loss prevention (DLP) and to meet other content standards in outgoing email. Predefined filters and custom policies can be used to detect sensitive data and block or encrypt email.
- Cloud-Based Central Management: The Barracuda Spam Firewall is integrated with the Barracuda Cloud Control (BCC) web-based management portal, which leverages Barracuda’s global cloud infrastructure to enable organizations to centrally manage all their devices through a “single pane of glass” interface. Administrators gain a global view of all their devices or services as well as centrally manage policies and configuration. The simple interface makes it easy for small and medium-sized organizations to implement and manage the service with minimal IT overhead.
- Simple Pricing: The Barracuda Email Spam Firewall is delivered with all features and capabilities fully enabled. Inbound and outbound email filtering, encryption, and email continuity are all offered as a simple, all-inclusive subscription without any per-user fees. The Barracuda Cloud Control management portal is included free of charge.
- Download Barracuda Backup and Archiver Storage Advantage Brochure
- Download Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall Brochure
To learn more about PTS IT Consulting Services, visit a link below or contact us:
- Data Center Server Planning & Feasibility
- Data Center Storage Area Network (SAN) and Data Protection Planning & Feasibility
- Data Center Virtualization Strategies & Assessments
- Data Center Relocation Evaluation & Planning
- Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery
- IT Managed Services
- PTS Routing and Switching Solutions